Saturday, January 20, 2007

When I am an old gimp, I shall push a purple walker...

but for now I will have to be content to push a screaming yellow one instead and my long awaited purple walker will remain a dream deferred. I feel cheated. I could almost reconcile myself to the need for it solely based on its colour. I'd never seen a purple walker before that day in the MediChair showroom and, yes, I know that the walker is an aid and its colour will in no way affect its performance. I am the one with multiple sclerosis who dips and sways like a jitterbugging drunk about to face plant, after all. But still I ask myself why do walkers come in such dowdy and depressing colours? Is it supposed to be a type of camouflage to hide us from the totally abled? I'm with Tiny Tim on this one. I hope anyone who sees me gimping along takes a moment to appreciate their good health and divinely serviceable body.

The practical gimp in me favours brilliant fluorescent hues like "Dare You to Hit Me" fluorescent Orange," and "Only a Jerk Would Cut Off Someone with a Cane in a Crosswalk" Neon Green". (While you are pondering that mystery, also give a moment to why are fat girl clothes frumpy?)

Fie on mobility devices in boring, staid colours. Every scooter, walker and wheelchair should have racing stripes, flames, bold graphics that proclaim the need for speed and mobility, fast paced art that screams "We're here. We're gimpy and get out of our way!"

Joy

No comments: